Isabel Fernández Fuentes, the current Executive Director, will leave the European Federation of Geologists (EFG) in autumn to head for new professional challenges. During the recent EFG Council meeting in Delft, she has informed the delegates about her wish to resign from her position at the end of September 2019. The Council members have unanimously expressed their gratitude towards Isabel for her enthusiasm and dedicated work throughout the last 17 years.
EFG therefore seeks to appoint a new Executive Director for its head office in Brussels. The deadline for applications is 21 June 2019 and the contract should ideally start at the beginning of September 2019.
The European Federation of Geologists is a non-governmental professional organisation representing more than 45,000 geoscientists all across Europe. EFG’s main aims are to contribute to a safer and more sustainable use of the natural environment, to protect and inform the public and to promote a more responsible exploitation of natural resources. EFG’s members are National Associations, NAs, whose principal objectives are based in similar aims. The guidelines to achieve these aims are the promotion of excellence in the application of geology and the creation of public awareness of the importance of geoscience for the society.
- BSc Management, Engineering or Geosciences or equivalent (or higher);
- Proven affinity with geology/earth sciences;
- Minimum working experience of 5 years in international organisations preferably linked to European affairs, geoscience professional activities or consultancy; (additional work experience in leadership positions is an advantage);
- Leadership and self-leadership (self-starter and self-motivating) capable of managing of its own work;
- Ability to communicate (verbal and written) clearly in English (level B2 or higher) and good presentation skills;
- Ability to adjust to changing situations, while maintain the existing structures;
- Stationed in or near Brussels and willingness to travel regularly, mainly in Europe;
- Basic knowledge of French and/or Dutch will be considered as an added value.
Summary of tasks (objectives and scope):
- Complies with the defined EFG strategies to achieve the objectives, and defines the strategy to achieve these objectives in the short and medium term, including setting targets and reports this to the EFG board;
- Establishes financial requirements, jointly with the acting responsible board member(s);
- Supervises EFG office staff, Projects Managers, Project Controller and In-House Consultants, ensuring that the work programmed and executed corresponds effectively to what was agreed with European Commission, partners and other stakeholders;
- Is committed to the prompt reporting (i.e. annual, periodical etc. reports) for the European Committee and the preparation of other operational documents (i.e. Bylaws, contracts) of the EFG;
- Is committed to a constant and active communication between EFG and policy-makers, decision-makers and various stakeholders, including the EFG members;
- Represents the EFG in public.
- Deadline for applications: 21 June 2019
- Tentative dates for interviews: 11 or 12 July 2019
- Contract start: 2 September 2019
You may find the full job vacancy here.
Please send your application to: email@example.com